- List the five stages of relationship development
- Match times in the ChalleNGe cycle when stages will most likely occur
- Review various examples of mentor and cadet relationship challenges
Like any relationship, there will be challenges. Preparing ahead of time for these challenges will help the long-term success of your partnership. Review the Relationship presentation to the right of your screen to acclimate you to some of the possible scenarios you may encounter.
___ Review the Resources
___ Complete Activities
___ Complete the Module 8 Questions
PDF – Stages of a Mentoring Relationship: This document defines relationship development in three phases – developing report and building trust, the middle – reaching goals, and closure – while giving examples of how you can support and engage with your cadet in each phase.
PDF – Tools for Mentoring Adolescents: Building Trust and Attachment with your Mentee: This document defines four phases to relationship development – beginning the relationship, building trust, testing the relationship, and increased independence – while giving strategies on how to be successful in each phase.
- In regards to the mentor/mentee relationship, list two expectations that you have of your mentee.
- In regards to the mentor/mentee relationship, list two expectations that you have of yourself.
- In regards to the mentor/mentee relationship, list two expectations that you have of your time together with your mentor.
- Use this list as a start for your conversation with your mentee regarding expectations. Be sure to make the expectations realistic and achievable.